The continuing drama...

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Reviews by necessity

I meant to post this earlier in the week, but my plans went awry...
I also meant to post pictures of the items I'm discussing today, but I took pictures with my phone and then realized that my laptop doesn't have Bluetooth, so I'll have to add the pictures when I have my work computer next week.

Okay, my complaint...
Friday night I was in hog heaven, watching the Bears game and happily knitting on my Shelridge Farm poncho. I was on my last row of the night, about 10-15 stitches from the end when my *%#$@ Bryson circular needle snapped at the join (or whatever you would call it if it's molded...). Well, that was my only size 6 circular and I had to work the next day all of the hours that Mosaic Yarn was open, so I had to wait until Sunday to drop the money for an Addi Turbo and let me just add that (Mom) now I am not only too good for cheap yarn, I am also too good for cheap needles. Let me add, though, that I like my Bryson dpns well enough, but I would never buy another circular.

My second review is for the best fitting socks ever! And here's where I really wish I had my picture because I am IN LOVE! I am currently knitting the Widdershins from the Knitty Summer Issue and they are too beautiful and the best fitting sock pattern I've knit yet. My next pair I'm going to use the Widdershins construction to do a ribbed sock in my Opal Tiger and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

My Widdershins review leads me to my review of 2 Knit Picks products. I'm using the Essential Tweed in Plum (but it's much darker and prettier than it looks on my computer screen). The yarn is so soft and pretty easy to work with, but I keep splitting stitches with the Knit Picks circular size 1. And this leads me to my final review of the day - the Knit Picks circulars. LOVE LOVE LOVE them - with 2 caveats. First, the tips are almost too sharp. I mentioned splitting stitches with them and I think I could probably use them as a weapon if I had to. Second, the join is a little sticky. They are a great alternative to the Addi Turbos, but not a perfect replacement. Of course, my size 1 Addi Turbo was about $15 and the size 1 Knit Picks was $5. Can I live with the 2 caveats? Absolutely. Does it depend on what I'm knitting? Probably.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home